I know we all love to be creative and unique, but sometimes we want to check on our competitor’s winning strategies to get an idea of what is working.
Your competitors sometimes have a strategy in a business that is already working and giving them growth.
Instead of trying, twerking, and finding what works or what doesn’t work in your niche, you can use the reverse engineering strategy on your competitor.
The reverse engineering process is one of the growth hacking techniques that would save you time, money, and resources.
Here are 8 reverse engineering steps that would help you grow your business.
It is very important to know who your targeted customers are, making demography of your customers is how you create your buyer’s persona.
Demographics covers the characteristics of the customers you want to target, such as Education, nationality, religion, income, language, ethnicity, sex, and so on.
You can use reverse engineering and know-how your competitors are targeting their customers.
- Are they targeting men more than women? Is the product or service attracting more men than women or more women than men?
- What country does your competitor target? We all know Americans, Europe, and some other developed countries have the buying power, but know who else is buying.
- Identify who the buyers are, Are they, the students? Small business owners? Or bigger corporations? Etc.
Some products and services get attracted to men than women and vice versa. Knowing who your Target audience is important. You can skip all the research and get who is already buying your competitor’s product. The last thing you want is to sell the right product or services to the wrong person.
Using the reverse engineering process in content creation is simple. Businesses are now taking content creation seriously, not just because it brings traffic to your web page, but it can also give your business eminent authority in your niche.
All you need to do is to find out, which type of content your competitors are getting traffic from. Are they creating more videos than a blog post? Are they writing long details blog posts? What topic do that write on? What keywords are they ranking in your niche?
- Your competitors are already creating content for your potential customer, one way to get part of that market is by creating content your potential customers want to see.
- Find out who is ranking on the first page for your niche, or target keyword.
- Search on YouTube and see what type of content your competitors are putting out there.
- Use Buzzsumo to know what content they mostly share on social media platforms.
You can use the hashtag on twitter too.
Once you get all the data you need, start creating a more in-depth blog post, if they are creating videos, that means your ideal customer love Video content goes live, if they love books start writing.
Sometimes the reason we don’t make sales is that our sales copy isn’t good enough, too crappy, or does not fit the buyer’s attractive character.
It is one thing to write a sale copy; it is another for it to fit the customer needs and pain point. One wonderful way to write the perfect sales copy that would convert leads to buyers is by using the reverse engineering process on your sales copy.
To achieve this, you need to know to analyze your competitor’s sales letter.
- Sign up for their emails, you need to buy the product or services if necessary
- How are they telling stories?
- How many emails do your competitors send before sales?
- Check their sign up form.
Now you know how they write their sales copy, it is time for you to copy that and make yours even better, more information, or less information.
The landing page is important in every business that wants to turn leads into paying customers, these can be your homepage, pricing & plan page, or another page that explains why the customer should care about what you are selling and how it can help them.
You can reverse engineer everything on your competitor’s landing page.
- How are your competitor’s converting customers on their landing page?
- Is there an introduction video on the landing page?
- how are they using the upselling strategy?
- Are your competitors using influencer’s reviews on the landing page or customer review?
- Are they giving free resources like ebooks or webinars?
Successful online business doesn’t rely on one source for traffic, there are 3 types of traffic.
Use the reverse engineering process to know how your customers are getting their traffic.
You can use Similarweb to do this, see who brings traffic to them, where are they get the most traffic from, is it from social media, search engine, paid ads, or affiliate marketing.
With this, you could know where your ideal customers are and how to get them.
Where are your competitors placing their ads, you can find out what type of ads they do?
- Do they run their ad’s on Google?
- Do your competitors run their ads on social media?
- Are they paying publishers?
- Are key doing video ads, image ads?
You can use Adespresso to see a competitor’s Facebook ads. Find out what would make you click on those ads, what is the headlines saying? How does the body look like? What type of pictures are they using?
Don’t waste time and resource twerking your ads copy, just find out what is already working and reverse engineer the process.
When I first started trying to make money online, I never knew what I will tell you now, “the money you seek online is in the list you build”
If you don’t, just want a list of emails, who never buys from you, then you need to build a customer relationship and one wonderful way to do this is by sending regular emails.
- How are your competitors getting email leads?
- What are they using as bait?
- How regularly do they send emails?
- What is the email content?
You need to sign-up to your competitor’s email list, look out for every email they send you.
If you still think great content is all you need to rank higher on a search engine, you need to think again and sit down and listen to what brain dean has to say.
Every business with an online presence needs backlinks, and what the simple way to get them? Using the reverse engineering process.
There are thousands of SEO tools that can help you find who is giving your computers backlink juice. Ahrefs is one of our best tools in doing this.
- How are they build their backlinks?
- What content is getting the most link?
- See who is linking to your competitor
Get real time update about this post categories directly on your device, subscribe now.